Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent Season

I saw this video last year and was very moved, but did nothing.



I saw this video this year and was very moved, and did something.



My family is not giving gifts to each other this year, and it could not feel more freeing or gratifying. I took almost the same amount of money from my savings account as I usually spend and we pooled our money to adopt 3 families to buy gifts for. We are also changing our usual Christmas celebration tradition, and have decided to go on a road trip to Colorado to see my Uncle and his family. We leave Christmas day, and I am so excited! I love road trips!

I saw a statistic on the news the other night that reported that if Americans spend $66 billion on gifts, $12 billion would be spent on worthless gifts that people don't even like or want.Sad huh? This year do something different. Give to a family in need. Make homemade gifts for family and friends-- you don't have to be Martha Stewart to make something beautiful and heartfelt--bake something sweet, frame a great family photo, repurpose an old piece of furniture, grow a plant, paint a picture....be creative! But more than anything...spend time with the people you love giving thanks to God for the life He has blessed you with.

No comments: